An ongoing journal of the re training of my young OTTB Moose and the daily adventures in my life with my horses!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Thinking About Our Future In The Show Ring...

Moose is a very forward guy. He loves to move. He loves to run and he loves to jump and he loves trail riding and well, anything that gets him on the go! Very true to his racing background. He isn't crazy like some horses get or overly hot but I have noticed he get bored pretty easily. When he gets bored sometimes he will pull a little bit and his transitions get sloppy. He isn't really bad about it and I know this comes with the territory of being green but I'm starting to wonder about his future as a Dressage horse, even on the lowest levels. Right now I am thinking we may just lean more to (low level) jumping and just see where we get. We are both still so green and have a lot to learn. Anything could change at this point but for now we will train in that direction. Of course basic fundamentals at this point are more important than anything else, and we will only jump once or twice a week but he definitely seems to just LOVE to jump. He never ceases to amaze me when he takes a 'scary' jump as if it is nothing. Even when he has his doubt he seems to say "well Ok I trust you" and goes for it with all he has. I certainly don't want to over face him and we wont be going over 3 foot for a long time. As I have said before until both of us are completely balanced and comfortable with it and get the go ahead from the trainer. On our lesson Monday he did really well. We spent majority of the time working on leg yields in the trot and transitions. He picked up his right lead the first time I asked...YAY for progress!!! When we finally got to jumping we did some ground poles and small ones than the 3 foot vertical. he did well but we were out of sync a couple of times so we went back down. Sometimes we seem perfectly together and sometimes...not. P, the trainer, talked a lot about learning distances and strides coming up to the jump and keeping his straight both before and after the jump. That for us so far is the most difficult aspect. Learning the distances and canter strides coming into a jump. We have been working a lot on lengthening and shortening his stride and he is starting to respond fairly well. Again we are 'greenies' and have a lot to learn but I am proud of him and happy with our progress thus far. We ended on a good note and I walked him out and gave him a  good hose down and fed him before walking across the road and hand grazing him for a while.

Riley and May are doing well. I have been working Riley everyday this week in preparation for the race we have this Saturday. I will work him today than give him Thursday and Friday off so he is fresh and ready. It is just an Open barrel race. No other classes and the arena is supposed to be nice. It is one I haven't been to before and we are excited! I won't be taking May for a few reasons. I still want to get a few more practices in on the rating before I take her again and also I am hauling with a friend who only has one open spot. I am just thankful I am getting to go! Hopefully someone will take a camera so I can get more race pics to post on here. Today Im going to do loooots of long trotting with Riley and maybe a little hill work to change it up than a hose down and good grooming so he is race ready! Hope everyone is having a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment