An ongoing journal of the re training of my young OTTB Moose and the daily adventures in my life with my horses!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Horse-nalities! (Riley)

And no I'm not talking about the clinician kind. I'm just talking about horse personalities. They are all very different just like people. You can learn a lot about a horse by just watching how they interact with the others in the pasture. Are they dominant or submissive? Who are their buddies? Do they like to run around a lot and play or prefer to take naps and graze the day away?

Cantering bridless bareback in the arena.

"Free Jumping" with Riley

Barrel racing at Lazy W. We got 2nd in 1D!






Riley has a very unique personality. If you don't know him he can be hard to read and he is not as quick to trust like some horses are. When I first got him we didn't get along at all. He was my mother's horse and he was a BUTT! He had pretty much been a pasture pet his entire life so in the saddle he was very strung out and all over the place. He braced against the bit and was very lazy. He didn't want to be messed with and would have been perfectly content with no human interaction for the rest of his life (except for food of course) He was given to me after my first horse Khemo, a little bay Egyptian Arabian, injured his shoulder when we both took a bad spilll and would be off for three months, it was also pretty evident he would bever become the barrel racer like I dreamed off. Khemo had been my first horse and he taught me a lot and it pained me to sell him but I knew if I wanted to be serious about the barrel racing I would have to. I sold him to a close friend (whose dad, ironically, ended up marrying my mom so now Khemo is happily grazing in the pastures at their home, fat and happy like he deserves :) ) who mostly played with him on the ground and took great care of him. The best part was they boarded him at the barn where I was so I could see him anytime. After that I still didn't have enough money to buy another horse so Mom gave me Riley. It was a long and challenging road but in the end our bond is stronger and deeper than if we hadn't had to over come all the obstacles. Riley is dominant in the pasture but some what of a loner. He rarely ever gets bit or kicked because he keeps to himself. He doesn't take any crap but he won't start it either. Lately he has been sort of hanging with May. I think its funny how horses that belong to the same people kind of band together and form their own 'mini herds' sometimes. It's even funnier because they used to H-A-T-E eachother. Riley is very laid back but would do anything in the world I asked of him. He is definetly my 'heart and soul horse' and I know I will never have another one like him. I can barrel race him or trail ride or chase cattle or do trail competitions or just hop on bridless bareback if I want. Two years in a row we competed in the Alabama competetive trail competition and both years got second in our age group by less than 2 points. He is also my trick horse. He bows, picks stuff up, parks out, rears on cue, gives kisses, sits like a dog (in water :P), nods his head yes and no, 'shakes' like a dog and in the saddle I tried to teach him the Spanish walk but he ended up only doing it with one leg so now we call it his "one legged Lippizaner walk" LOL My friends and I joke that if Riley was a person he would be the big sarcastic jock. He is very independent by nature which makes our bond even more special as he is so trusting in me. I have been the only one to ride him for so long and he has so many cues and 'buttons' that when other people get on him he kind of just shuts down. He doesn't do anything bad, he just doesn't do anything PERIOD. lol He is a one person horse. He is a very sweet and loving horse but in his own way. He's like a big dog but not in the "in your pocket" kind of way. His shows of affection are more subtle: a soft nicker, pressing his head to my chest or resting his soft velevety nose on my cheek. I am so blessed to have him and would truly be lost without him.

"My horses feet are swift as rolling thunder
He carries me away from all my fears
and when the world threatens to fall asunder
His mane is there to wipe away my tears"

Riding Riley over an onstacle at the trail competition
Teaching Riley to lay down and sit. We started in water.
Cue-ing Riley to rear
All parked out and he ain't even a walker! :P
Bowing on cue
Picking up a halter on cue

No comments:

Post a Comment