An ongoing journal of the re training of my young OTTB Moose and the daily adventures in my life with my horses!

Monday, February 14, 2011

Race Day Recap 2-12-11

Saturday's barrel race when GREAT! I did end up only taking Riley for financial reasons and also because I needed some more time to work with some stuff with May at home. I loaded Riley up that morning and I was oddly calm. Usually I'm at least a little excited or nervous but that race for some reason I wasn't. We got to the show and unloaded than signed up. I entered Riley in Adult and Open class. When it came my time to run in Adult (I was number 17) I warmed Riley up and could tell he was a fire ball! He pranced, pawed, and paraded around the warm up pen like he thought he was gonna win the entire thing! LOL Well we went in a little to hard and I checked him up late so he went by first barrel a little bit. This caused him to come off of first barrel bad which set him up bad for second. He tipped second but just barely so it didn't fall (whew) and than third was clean and we ran home. I also had my little warm hat on but it slid over my eyes running in and running to third. I wore it because it was warm and kept my hair out of my face but my second run I took it off and put my hair up. We ran a 15.7 in Adult and fell in the crack between 2 and 3D. 
Our second run of the day Riley was ready. He was fired up but zoned in and we both tried to focus really hard. The familiar stomach flipping nervousness returned but in a good way. I never get overly nervous but just enough where your really focused and the adrenaline gets flowing good. We ran in hard but good and he had a beautiful first. Second and third were good too and he ran a 15.3. I was proud of the run and dismounted and gave Riley his treat than untacked and walked him and hosed his legs down after I pulled his SMB boots off. Later that day I almost missed them calling the placing but me and Riley won the 3D and got $200! Not a lot but definitely paid back the entry fees plus a little much needed extra! I was so happy and I showed Riley the money (which he promptly tried to eat than became disinterested when he found it not edible lol ) and gave him his night feed and brushed him down really good. All in all it was a great day. I gave him Sunday off and might work him light today. He is also getting his feet trimmed and new shoes today. Me and Moose have a lesson later (YAY!) and I will work May later today too.

In another note I had another English lesson on Jubil last night! It was a lot of fun. We worked on keeping her collected when transitioning up or down in gaits and than at the end we did some jumping. I had a blast! I have been taking lessons on her about once a week\once every other week for about two or three months now. N, as I will call her owner, teaches me on her in return for me helping her work her green TWH. Sorry if this is a repeat for anyone. I forget what I have and haven't said sometimes ;) I will have another lesson on her next week or the week after. N told me Jubil is pregnant but just at the very beginning stages. As she progresses in her pregnancy the rides will get lighter and lighter but we will ride her as long as she is comfortable. She was in good shape before and the vet says it is good for her. She is a Fjord\Anglo Arab crossed and was bred to a very nice TWH. I was kinda hoping she would be bred to something more built for dressage\jumping but her owner wants something just to hit the trails with so I totally understand. Can't wait until Jubil Junior is born!!!

Here is a pic of me and Riley and my mom's adorable puppy Peanut at the show. More pictures to come later!

2 comments:

  1. Thats awesome!!! I really wish I could get into barrels more around here, but I just don't have time with all this other horsey stuff:/ You should post pictures of your run if you have any!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted some :) And I understand its pretty difficult juggling school and barrels, training and now jumping\dressage! haha

    ReplyDelete