An ongoing journal of the re training of my young OTTB Moose and the daily adventures in my life with my horses!

Monday, April 18, 2011

An Update At Last....

I still don't have my laptop but I'm on a friends so I'm gonna attempt to do a quick yet thorough update.
Ill start with Moosey. He is doing pretty good. The two weeks before last I had only been able to ride him once a week but than this past week I rode him three times which I was very happy about. I haven't been jumping him much. Working mostly on the flat and getting more control and more fluid transitions.
his upward transitions are pretty good but when we slow down a lot of times he braces for a second. Not really bad and he doesn't pull but it's still far from ideal. Last night we got a little help from the owner of Jubil and by the end of our "lesson" he was doing a little better. I know a lot of it is me and yesterday proved it. I have a lot to work on too. Mostly Western habits that are harder to break. Its some what difficult (for me anyway) to actively ride and compete both ways. We jumped a little bit too. Start off with lots of ground poles than did a few cross rails and than jumped the barrels. We set them up as an in and out so that he would have to slow down and think. It was a lot of fun and I love how he perks up and becomes so excited when we jump. N commented lots of times how he really seemed to enjoy it. He softened a lot and become very relaxed and malleable, almost like putty in my hands but still with contact, it was nice and I was very proud. :)
I will add he had one major and hilarious spook right at the beginning. He wasn't paying attention while we were warming up and N, whose as quiet as a mouse, came in the arena without him noticing and as we trotted past he looked over and saw her and I think we jumped about three feet away from her in the form of a perfect lateral, all four feet, hop! Silly Moosey!
His weight is also a lot better and his coat is looking good! He is shedding his winter hair and underneath he is so shiny he REALLY looks like a bay now! Just one without black stockings lol. I still want him to put on some more weight but at least we have made progress. I think his coat looks so good because of the good feed, corn oil and the Healthy Coat he has been getting.

Now for my other two babies. Riley is doing good. He ran pretty good at the show last weekend on Saturday the 9th. We won the Adult 2D. It was a big outdoor pattern and the footing was deep which worried me but he handled it ok. He slipped his second run and almost sat around 2nd barrel but he caught himself and kept trucking. It cost us sometime or sure but I didn't mind and the pattern was still pretty good. I didn't think he would run very fast because when its hot he can be lazy and I don't like pushing him much harder than he feels like going but he woke up and ran hard when it was time than dozed and grazed between patterns and while I hosed him. LOL

May is also doing verrrry well! Im super proud of how she is fiiiiiinally coming along on the barrel pattern. The last two times we practiced she did GREAT! I can't wait to take her to the next show and see if it is really paying off. I also shaved her mane (almost roached it. It looks like a drunk cut it but it will look good as it grows out. Im not very good at cutting\shaving manes I guess :P) because when we first got her she had this neat, adorable mohawk. She has a very thick pretty mane and a thick neck so it looked really good. I wanted her to have the mohawk back so I cut her mane very, very short and now it will stand as it grows. It definitely fits her "rocker pony" attitude the way she always nods her head and shows her teeth and pins her ears at other horses. Oh May May! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment