An ongoing journal of the re training of my young OTTB Moose and the daily adventures in my life with my horses!

Friday, April 22, 2011

Riley The Trick Horse

I have taught Riley a lot of small tricks over the years. Mostly just for fun and because we both enjoy the bonding time on the ground. For Riley it's rewarding and engaging and a nice change. For me, well it's rewarding in a different sense and some of the tricks are just plain cute! Over the past few years Riley has learned to do two different bows, paw from the saddle, rear from the saddle, pick stuff up, shake his head yes and no, park out, half of the Spanish walk (he only does it with one leg heehee) give kisses, stretch, and open\close gates. There are always new tricks I am adding to the list (hug, sit, smile or "flehm", rear from ground, bow from saddle etc) that I want to teach him but the one I have always wanted to teach most is for him to lay down. There is just something about these incredible animals that is just amazing when they choose to trust you enough to lay down with no force. I have seen many ways to do it but I refuse to use ropes and whips. I want him to WANT to do it and NEVER feel forced. Most of the time when we work on anything it is either at Liberty or with just a halter and lead rope. He has a choice. If he decides he is not comfortable doing something or just flat out refuses than that is fine. I know he has a reason whether I know what the reason is or not.

Real quick on a side note before I go further: I know some people don't agree with trick training especially rearing and laying down and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I agree that not all horses should be taught these things and only few people should even try. I have owned\known Riley since he was 18 months. Does that change the fact he is still a horse? Absolutely not. But I know him well enough I know what he can handle and what he can't. Most of these tricks he has known for years and we have NEVER had a problem. Not at home, not at shows. Nothing. I believe it has a lot to do with trust and never making him do anything and so he is always comfortable and never uses it as a method of evasion in an uncomfortable situation. I am also going to keep Riley for his entire life even if he was just a pasture puff. I will keep him until the day he crosses the rainbow bridge. I would not teach a horse these things and than sell them. I wouldn't sell Riley, PERIOD. I would not, myself, try to teach just any horse these tricks. Certain horses just don't seem to have the temperament. I am not saying that they couldn't be taught, just that I am not a trick training professional by any means. I'm just a girl with a very strong bond with her horse.  Ok....rant over :)

The point of all this is a few days ago I successfully taught Riley to lay down. (pictures coming as soon as I get a friend out here with a camera! Hopefully this weekend) We have been working on it from the ground. I was so proud of him that he trusted me enough to lay down in my presence with no other horses around. Last night I asked him from on his back and after 20 minutes he did it and laid down very softly. I praised him lavishly and than finished working him before we called it a night. I'm so blessed to have a horse like him. I know great horses are made but there are some things in a horse you can't change or teach. Like conformation and color but also heart, and Riley has a lot of it! I saw once in a book something that said it takes a powerful connection for two beings who do not communicate the same way to build a bond based on something deeper than words. Riley, thank you for being my heart horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment