An ongoing journal of the re training of my young OTTB Moose and the daily adventures in my life with my horses!

Friday, October 22, 2010

Three good rides!

I rode May first today since I didn't get to ride her yesterday or the day before. Ive been trying to ride them at least every other day or 4-5 days a week to get them back in shape before we start racing again this month. She did pretty good. She was very tense and hot when I first got on her but that's pretty typical for her, especially this time of year when it cools down. After about 20 minutes she settled down. I didn't work on anything in particular but rather just did a lot of jogging and extended trotting and than slow loped her. We did some canter circles and I worked on slowing her down with my seat. She's a very sensitive horse and does really well on the pattern but does not slow down for the turns on her own. I refuse to just pull on her mouth so I often just work on trotting and loping the pattern and breaking her down for the turns. If I come to the barrel at a trot, I will slow to a walk and if I come to the barrel at a canter, we will slow to a trot. I really exaggerate my 'sitting deep' for emphasis and the verbal cue "Easy". I don't say whoa because I don't want to confuse her. Whoa means stop and only stop. I side passed her a couple times which she did great but wanted to go 100 mph as usual. I didn't make a big deal out of it though. She crossed over fine so I praised her and we moved on. After her ride I hosed her down real good and after she cooled I fed her and turned her out.

Next to ride was Riley boy. As with May I didnt work on anything specific but just exercised him. We did LOTS of collected trotting and than some extended trotting both ways. Being so post legged in the hind end I really have to help him to keep him in frame and on the bit. Once he warms up he does alright but its so much harder for him than it is for Moose and May. He also has difficulty with keeping his hip in when we canter tighter circles but with a lot of outside leg he eventually gets were he needs to be. Makes me wonder sometimes how he gets around a barrel so smoothly and efficiently. He has never refused a turn or fought me anywhere on the pattern. He loves to run and has no chute sourness either. I think part of it is just how hard he tries for me and how much he truly enjoys his job. I turned him loose in the arena about a week ago tackless and just let him run around and burn some energy and after a few laps he ran straight for third barrel and turned it like we were at a show! It was very refreshing to see him have so much fun doing his 'job'. I never want any of my horses to become sour about working. To me it is only fun and enjoyable if BOTH horse and rider enjoy it.

I never got around to riding Moose but its ok as I will have plenty of time Sunday and Monday to ride him. I did work with him on the ground a little bit and hand grazed him which he enjoyed.
This afternoon I also took an English lesson. I have never officially taken a lesson in English riding before and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The lady who taught me gave me the lesson in exchange for taking care of her horses a few days ago. I rode her horse Jubil for the lesson. Jubil was amazing! Really nice Fjord\Anglo Arab mare. She was extremly patient and tolerant of my limited abilities in the English saddle and I worked very hard to be careful with my cues. It was definetely different but I look forward to taking more lessons from her. She has agreed to give me one every week or every other week in return for working one of her green horses for her.
Even though Western is my style, I dont mind learning about both and I believe it will help my technical riding. I love learning new stuff I can apply to my riding. Within the next month I would really like to start also taking lessons again on Riley with a friend of mine who competes locally in reining. She has done everything from Dressage and show jumping to novice cutting and reining. She is an excellent rider and has a lot of the same beliefs that I do. I really look up to her and enjoy when she teaches me. Its always fun to work on new skills and better my horse and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment