An ongoing journal of the re training of my young OTTB Moose and the daily adventures in my life with my horses!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The first few weeks...

The first few weeks seemed to fly by! I worked with Moose on the ground for about a week before I ever swung a leg over. I never lunged him but just let him adjust to everything and got to know him better so I could see more of his personality and any "quirks" he may have.  I quickly found that he was a very personable horse. He would come trotting up to me in the pasture and would pace the pasture line nickering if I took another horse out and left him. He also liked to be in your space. I didn't mind as long as he wasn't stepping on me or being rude or nippy. I taught him that when I brought him up and tied him to the corral to eat he had to 'wait' and looks at me with 'two eyes' while I tied his rope instead of rushing into his bucket and pushing me aside. He seems to be a quick learner and picked up on this as well as the 'head down' cue very quickly. I figured since he was so tall I would start this cue early with his halter before I ever tried to put a bridle on him. Its funny because he puts his head down fine but he insists on putting it soooo low that you practically have to kneel down to slide his halter on. I also noticed that he didn't seem to know how to act in the 'herd'. I'm guessing having been stalled and raced most of his life maybe he didn't get some of the important social lessons when he was a colt?? I'm not sure but he wasn't in the new pasture fifteen minutes before he got a pretty bad kick on his front left leg along the outside of his cannon bone. I ended up calling the vet and getting antibiotics and bute and having to ice and wrap it. I also cold water hosed it twice a day and it healed in about a week.  It worried me at first but now that he is ok it actually helped us bond because I had to spend so much extra time doctoring him twice a day. We ended up moving the horse who kicked him to another pasture. He had singled him out for some reason and bullied him constantly. Even though Moose was bigger than the 15 hand Quarter horse, he just isn't much of a fighter and would wait too long to run away. After the first week I started putting my barrel saddle on him while he was tied up and eating. First I just set it on him than I started girthing him up and getting him used to the low hanging stirrups. He is a very sensitive horse and moves at the slightest pressure. I have also found he has pretty thin skin. He didn't mind the saddle, tried eating the stirrups and the latigo a couple of times and snorted a little the first time I put it on.
After the third week I decided it was time to ride. I saddled him up and stretched his legs which he was fine with and lead him into the small corral. I figured it would be best to start here seeing as it was an enclosed area that he was comfortable with. I never did lunge him. I have nothing against lunging but he just seemed so calm and relaxed and not anxious or in a hurry at all. I know that a horse can seem fine than come unglued when you get on but I chose to trust him.....and he was fine. He had no idea why my legs were touching him low on his sides but didnt seem bothered. He certainly didnt move off of them or move forward but he didnt freak out either. I clicked to get him to walk on and he did. I rode him in just a smooth O ring snaffle and he seemed fine in it. He chewed the bit and drools a lot! Even on the ground at feeding time when I make him wait while I tie his lead he drools like a dog. Pretty humorous until he turns his head and slings it all over your face...yum... The first few times I rode him I simply walked and worked on the very very basics. Teaching him WOAH and backing him up and lateral flexion. He bends great both ways and picked up on the WOAH cue quickly. He braced against the bit the first few times I asked him to back but I just stayed soft and persistent and it wasnt long before he was backing off of very light pressure. Even though I know he doesnt know what foot pressure is I still use it every time I ride him and ask him to move in and out of the rail or turn. I want him to be comfortable with it and learn it early on. I am very firm believer in riding your horse with your seat and legs more so than just your reins. My barrel racing coach used to always call it 'wearing your horse' and all he taught me paid off when I got my palomino Riley to where I could ride him bridless bareback in our arena and walk, trot, canter(on the correct lead and completly controlled) WOAH, back and turn all off of my weight and legs.
By about our sixth ride Moose was starting to move off of my legs and responding pretty well to very light and subtle cues. I had started trying to get him to get on the bit and lower his head. The first few times he did his best 'girraffe impression' but like everything else it didnt take long for him to catch on and he started bringing his head down and relaxing. Needless to say I am very pleased and impressed with his progress. He hasnt given me really any trouble so far. A couple of times in the arena he spooked and one time (the only time I have ridden him at night and with another person riding in the arena) a plane flew over us very low and he got a little anxious and jigged and pranced but that was it. He sideways jogged a few paces but quickly settled back down after the plane passed and if thats the worst he's going to act than I will gladly take it! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment