An ongoing journal of the re training of my young OTTB Moose and the daily adventures in my life with my horses!

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Updates Galore!

As you can imagine I have been very busy these last few weeks so therefore I haven't posted in a while but I have plenty of updates on everyone! Ill start with Moosey. He is doing well and steadily (yet slowly) gaining weight.  I finally got the bitless bridle from one of my friends to try. ALL my horse's ride wonderful in it. Moose loved it but did better in the bitless side pull bridle and even offered both lateral and vertical flexion in it :) I plan on jumping him in it this afternoon when it cools down.

May is in heat so she is just as sassy and 'witchy' as ever. I had a barrel race yesterday and took her. She was fired up and ran a decent first pattern but I over rode her and caused some issues with first that cost us a lot of time. Our second run I loosened up on her a lot and tried hard to trust her to do her job and she ran much better. About a second off the fastest time of the day and we have a lot of room for improvement. Her mohawk is growing in great and stands up about 4 inches now and I love it! I ride her in the bitless bridle at all times now except when we are practicing. She is much calmer and does really well with it. Her head tossing and 'tourrettes' is almost non existent. I'm thrilled with the difference!

I pulled Riley up on Tuesday to see that he had a cut on his leg. Luckily it wasn't very bad and it didn't involve any tendon or joints. I hosed it really well and put some SSD and wrapped it for a few days and gave him some bute. There was minimal swelling. It was on his hind left cannon. I have a pic of it but this was from yesterday so it looks a lot better than it did. Riley also had his back shoes pulled on Thursday and now only has front shoes. Hopefully we can eventually get him back to be comfortable barefoot. As for the trick training it is going well and he is loving his new job. The lay is getting better and better as is the sit. I have some pics of him sitting at Liberty and rearing bridless and bareback. Right now he is learning to yawn on cue and bow on one knee which will progress to a full kneel. I am so proud of him and can not wait to teach him everything and hopefully one day we will get to the point we can do it all at Liberty, the tricks and the riding, that would be my dream :)







So that is all the updates for now. More coming soon and more pictures also. I can't decide whether I want to do Riley his own blog for the trick training and such or just keep it like it is. Obviously half the time I dont have time to post on this one but summer is a week away and I will have more help and more time so we will see.

1 comment: