An ongoing journal of the re training of my young OTTB Moose and the daily adventures in my life with my horses!

Friday, May 6, 2011

Bitless Bridle?

Around the barn May is known as Maniac May or just "Tourrette's Mare". It's not meant in a mean way, it just suits the way she is always bobbing her head like she has a tic. From the moment the bit goes in her mouth or even in a hackamore.  Its not uncontrollable and shes not THROWING her head. Just bobbing it almost constantly. Especially when we practice and she has her barrel racing bit in. I've often wondered if it was just anxiety\excitment or the bit or perhaps a combination of the two. The last few times we have practiced she has shown lots of improvement and I really can't wait until the next race. I think she will be ready to clean house :-)
On the other hand I have been surfing around on the Internet for bridles without bits but specifically designed for riding...in other words not just a halter and lead rope lol. I know control comes from the riders seat\body\voice etc and how well the horse is schooled. Not from a bit but I would still like something just a tad more than just a halter for trail rides and stuff like that. I came across the Dr. Cook's bitless bridle and have been decided I might want to give it a whirl. I would still use her regular bridle on her when we compete but I think she would do good in this at all other times. If nothing else I KNOW it would do fine on Riley. He can ride in nothing. I also believe Moose would go fine in it too. He doesn't fight the O ring snaffle I use on him but he is very soft and sensitive for the most part and less is more in this aspect right? If anyone has any experience with one, let me know :) Either way I think it will be worth giving a try. I have to wait a little while to order one though as I just had two vet bills so I have to replenish my funds! One was for their coggins and the day after I pulled May up and her eyelid was swollen pretty bad so I had the vet out just to be safe. She was on banamine for a few days and an eye ointment and I put a mask on her. We think it was just the wind caused irritation and she rubbed it until it swelled. We still are watching it just to be safe as it is the same eye as she has the cataract from an injury before I owned her.

In other news Moosey is doing well. Putting on weight still slowly but surely. He is completely shedded out of his winter coat and he is VERY shiny. I didn't have time to ride him but I lunged(sp? I never know the correct spelling for this) him in the arena for a little while just to exercise him. After a while on the line I lunged him at Liberty and he was such a good boy. Once he got the idea I could send him out than bring him back in trotting with just my voice and body language. I was very proud of him! Maybe I will get to ride him this afternoon.  

Riley is doing great as well. Been working on the trick training and we are having a lot of fun with it. He is getting the smile a lot better and now lays all the way down and holds the sit longer too. We started the beginnings of the Spanish walk and he is catching on fast. What a good boy! Pics and video of all three coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment